Have you ever had one of those… crappy days? Weeks? Where you can’t get out of the fog? Trust me, I’ve been there.
Earlier this week I stumbled upon an AWESOME checklist of what to do when you want to give up, and it inspired me to create a checklist for my community of empowered women!
Remember my blogpost, “How to Thrive When Things Suck?”
I’ve added to the list..
When you think you’ve hit rock bottom, ask yourself these questions. Rock top awaits 🙂
1. Have you let yourself cry it out in the past 24 hours? Like snot and tears flying everywhere for at least 2 minutes? Let your emotions move girl, they’re not meant to stay inside!
2. Have you meditated for at least 15 minutes today? If you can’t be with your feelings and truly watch them, your emotions are going to get the best of you and you’ll slip into some depression, anxiety, and even more worry than you started. Trying to change your feelings is like trying to put a fire out with a blow torch. Be with your feelings in stillness, from the witness perspective for 15 minutes and notice what opens up.
3. Have you gone outside today? Get into nature! Let the wind, sun, or rain touch your face. Dig your feet and hands into the dirt. When we’re spinning in anxiety and overwhelm, that means you aren’t grounded and connected to your body and the earth. Connect.. hug a tree. I’m serious.
4. Have you gotten a massage in the past week? When we’re out of whack emotionally it means our nervous system is confused, trying to process whether to fight or fly from the current stressful/scary scenario. In these moments of stress, we have to resource our bodies. Nothing is more healing than a massage in my opinion, so commit to some self-care and I dare you not to feel better. Massage isn’t your thing? Take a bath.. a hot shower.. rub your own skin with some coconut oil and return to your precious body. Your body carries so much wisdom! Your body holds the answers when our nervous mind can’t distinguish the truth from reality.
5. Have you helped anyone in the past week? Contribution really does end our suffering, it takes us out of our own negative self-talk and stories, and we remember that we’re simply here to love, and be loved. Loving, appreciating, or helping someone is such a beautiful way to return to your soul.
6. Notice if you’re going through an emotional, spiritual, or personal growth spurt. When we expand and grow, that means we’re making tremendous progress, but sometimes it hurts! Expansion requires contraction. It’s like giving birth. When you stop growing, you stop living. Look at one of those stinky rivers in india, it’s stinky because it stopped moving and growing. The invitation is to be with your process even when it hurts like hell, and be thankful for your progress.
7. What are you wearing? If you’re still wearing your pajamas, take a shower and change your clothes. Put on something sexy and beautiful. Put on some lipstick and welcome your beautiful femininity back into your life.
8. Who do you need to forgive? Holding grudges is the sure-fire way to be unhappy. Write down all of your grudges on a piece of paper. Every. Single. One. Every resentment, all the unforgiveness that is still in your heart. Now I have an exercise for you. Pick up the piece of paper with all of your grudges, hold it with all of your might- squeeze it tight, and then— let it go. Watch your resentments fly to the ground. Notice how easy it is to let go. What would open up for you if you energetically and emotionally let go too? (There’s more to this process.. but this is a great start!)
9. Have you danced like a crazy person today? Oh yes, I said it. Put on some music and let your body move. This will bring blood flow to your brain and release tons of endorphins.
10. Be silly! On Monday I led a workshop in a banana costume…. I wasn’t in the greatest mood before this workshop, but committing to silliness always trumps the sadness and sometimes you have to fake it ’til you make it. My silliness created a ripple effect of joy, and everyone couldn’t help but smile and laugh and join in on the insanity 🙂
Don’t believe me? Yup.. that’s me leading a guided meditation as a banana.
11. What have you had to eat or drink today? You could very well be dehydrated, hungry, or in a funk due to too much sugar which always takes us out of presence. Drink a ton of water, eat some greens, and do this slowly and consciously, tasting your food with presence.
12. Have you seen your coach or therapist in the past week? Since the first time I did a personal growth seminar, I’ve worked with a coach or therapist weekly. It’s not a weakness, it’s my secret weapon. Being seen, heard, and supported are three of the most important structures for actualizing your empowerment! When you’re held accountable in taking full responsibility for your life and happiness, you can heal and in the process you become a magnet for what you truly want.
If anything in this newsletter struck a chord with you and you want to see if empowerment coaching is right for you, sign up for a discovery call with me so you can map out the changes that must happen in order for you to live with peace, fulfillment, and tons of JOY even in the face of heartache or stress. I really look forward to hearing from you!
All my love and light,
P.S. Comment below to let me know your own ideas for getting out of the funk!